Thursday, May 31, 2012

Update 5-31-12


Before reading this post...
I can’t believe it’s already June! Ok, that’s officially tomorrow, but for all intents and purposes, it’s June, folks! (Apologies to those whose birthday is today.)

This means our lives began really changing about 1 year ago. For 1 year, we’ve been questioning our mediocre dedication to our Savior, our comfortable pursuit of self-centered faith, and our twisting of Jesus into someone more like us.

You know how it’s hard to see how your kids have grown in a year because you’re around them all the time? It’s not until you look at pictures from last year that you really notice how far they’ve come. It’s kind of like that for me, as I try to measure the change from who I was, to whom God is making me. It feels like I haven’t come very far, until I remember where I was 1 year ago. That, in turn, gives me hope for what God is going to make me 1 year from now.

I told them they'd be a lot cooler if they weren't matched so well.
Trinity Aviation Academy is still in its infancy. All of our aircraft are still grounded for one reason or another, but there is hope on the horizon. There’s a new student here for the flight training, who already has his mechanics license and has been helping me break...er, work on the aircraft. He’s local, which is great because the dorms aren’t built yet. There’s also been another mission-oriented pilot/mechanic volunteering his time to get us off the ground. We should see some fruit from our labors by the middle of June. That would be great, because I’d like to take Bonnie to a fly-in campground on the Oregon Coast for our anniversary.

Moving the drywall out so we can work on more aircraft!
Bonnie and I have just begun a class (grades and everything!) given by our pastor at South Hill Calvary Chapel, called Ministers In Training. It’s about 6 months of reading, praying, writing, and serving. We hope that God will use it to grow us for His purpose.

The first books we’re getting into are A. W. Tozer’s The Pursuit of God and David Platt’s Radical. I’m especially convicted when I see myself described by Tozer as one who has been taught that once you’re in (“accepted” Jesus as savior), you’re done. He says, “The whole transaction of religious conversion has been made mechanical and spiritless...Christ may be ‘received’ without creating any special love for Him in the soul of the receiver. The man is ‘saved,’ but he is not hungry nor thirsty after God. In fact he is specifically taught to be satisfied and encouraged to be content with little.” Wow, that’s been me. 

How crazy is it that we think God has drawn us to Him, but wants nothing from us? No real relationship, no changes in our comfortable existences, and no pursuit of knowing Him? Paul said “Everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with Him.” (Phil 3:8-9a). That doesn’t sound like “receiving” Jesus as one’s savior is the end game. Oh, how I lack in gaining Christ! 

-Gabe
Eatonville, WA
5/31/12
...Aaand after

1 comment:

  1. Ironically, I know two people with birthdays today. One of which I sent a card about not short changing their "day" and to celebrate their birth "night" as well. Stop trying to short change them!

    In all seriousness, great post and I'm a big fan of David Platt. I knew God was calling us to adopt, but it was listening to one of his sermon series that pushed me to say "yes" for myself and bring it up to Justin.

    ReplyDelete