Wednesday, March 28, 2012

41 weeks



Waiting....patience....perseverance.....these things don't normally come easily to me. Being born an American with our notorious "can do" attitude and love for instant gratification plus my own Type A personality do not equal patience. It's easy to get caught up in the culture around us and take pride in how much we've accomplished in a day, how quickly we've solved a problem, etc. When I was an RN working in the hospital this was especially true. Labor and Delivery wards are notoriously fast-paced, and I loved it. Birth on speed. Inductions, pitocin, epidurals, emergencies narrowly avoided and the doctor and I came out heroes. Not the mothers. Certainly not the divine Inventor of the whole process.

Strangely enough, the adrenaline high of turning Labor&Delivery into another ER (which I also enjoyed for a time) was not the most satisfying work I've found in my nursing career. What I carry with me as the best moments from that career are not my part in daring rescues of moms and babies from disaster. (Truthfully, my part in those situations was only by the grace God gave me and them, not anything in my own talents or skills.)

What were truly divine moments were the births. The babies who came unexpectedly and slid out into my own hands. The pure magic of their life becoming separate from that of their mother's in perfect harmony and watching them take their first breath. The simplicity of it, and me standing in awe of a process I had simply witnessed and could never have improved on.

Now I sit at 41 weeks and 2 days of my own third pregnancy, or "9 days overdue" if you like. I'm impatient. My family is impatient. My kids are impatient. Well, except for the one yet to be born . :-) He's happily kicking and rolling around, waiting for his moment. In the U.S., it has become pretty standard practice to induce labor at 41 weeks for everyone(not so in other industrialized nations, but that is another topic. I highly recommend "Born in the USA" by Marsden Wagner, MD for voluminious research on why normal birth should be left alone :-) ). I've heard more than one doctor say "nothing good happens after 41 weeks". My previous two kids were induced at 41 weeks; Sam in the hospital, Ciara by castor oil since the midwives I delivered with in Tucson were bound by the doctors' 41 week rule. Both came out pretty quickly, by 6 PM on the day of their inductions. Neither looked "overdue" or at any risk in labor. So why, this time around, am I insane enough to want to wait? My midwife would be glad to accomodate me with natural methods to get labor going, but I can safely stay in her care until 42 weeks(what the research actually shows, not the 41 week "rule"), so there's no rush as long as we're both healthy. And we are.

So, "am I insane not to get induced???" :-) Here's the Scripture my Bible "randomly" fell open to this morning:

Isaiah 66:9

New King James Version (NKJV)
Shall I bring to the time of birth, and not cause delivery?” says the Lord.“Shall I who cause delivery shut up the womb?” says your God.

I love the Lord's sense of humor :-) But seriously, who allowed me to conceive this baby? Who has given me an amazingly healthy pregnancy? Do I have any cause to doubt Him or the process He created for my son to be born in His perfect timing just because American obstetricians get nervous after 41 weeks? Or because I and everyone else are getting impatient? If "fatigue of pregnancy" isn't a valid medical reason for labor induction at 39 or 40 weeks (which I don't personally believe it is), then is it at 41 weeks in a healthy pregnancy? For me, this time, it's not. 

At least for a couple more days. :-)

Some great verses on patience, which I AM thankful for this opportunity to cultivate:

James 1:2-4

New King James Version (NKJV)
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 

Isaiah 40:31

New King James Version (NKJV)
31 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

I know I am not the only one out there today who the Lord is asking to wait patiently. I think of my friends who are waiting to conceive a child, or have waited for years to see that promise finally fulfilled :-) I think of others, waiting for the child God has put on their heart to adopt, yet not even having a referral or a name yet. I think of those patiently waiting to see if God will give them a husband or wife or if their gift will be singleness. 

All I can say is what He keeps saying to me. "Trust me. I have not forgotten you. There is a purpose for all of this".

One of my favorite worship songs from our church home back in Tucson: "Everlasting God" by Chris Tomlin


Romans 5:3-5

New King James Version (NKJV)
And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Check back soon for baby news :-) Be Blessed!
Bonnie



2 comments:

  1. That is an amazing song you happen to point out, as it is the exact same song that God has used many times over in my trials and hard times. Over and over again he has pointed me back to the words of that song and it now reminds me again of where I was when he first showed it to me an where he has brought me from. Thank you Bonnie for ......you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great reminder for all of us who are longing and waiting for God to move in our lives. Love you Bonnie, I will be praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete